Monday, March 21, 2011

On a mission

There was a time in my life I never knew what it would be like to be the parent of a child with  Down syndrome..or any type of intellectual disability. It’s one of those things you never think of. There was a time in high school when I used to walk by some individuals with Ds. One boy in particular always stood out. I admired him. And no, I am not just saying it because NOW I am parent to someone just like him… but because I really did admire him. So carefree and happy when being in high school was all about worrying about fitting in. He didn’t have to worry.

I really didn’t “know him”… but I wish I did. That was the closest experience I ever got to knowing someone with Ds. And the fact that I admired him so much, I think it was a sign, from God. I think He already knew all along… of course He knew. 

I never really wondered about his family. I never really wondered how he became to be. I just saw him as a person that was different. But I also knew it was something I shouldn’t wonder about or worry about because I would NEVER PERSONALLY KNOW AN INDIVIDUAL with Down syndrome. Lets face it, those things don’t happen to me

Well looks who’s on the other side of the fence now!

Yup. It’s me.

Because guess what? it can happen to any woman. 

And here goes another GUESS WHAT?
It really isn’t that bad… to have a child with Down syndrome. As a matter of fact, it is not bad at all.

I know, I know! I preach it all the time. But geesh! if I can get through to somebody, it will be worth all my yip- yapping! 

I am not sure how Down syndrome got such a bad name,… or how it came to feed so much fear into the heart of a pregnant woman, as she clutches her stomach where her unborn child with Down syndrome sleeps. 

Today is World Down Syndrome Day.

And today, and every day I celebrate it. I am on mission to prove that our life is as normal, perfect and different, as every family in the world is. 

I encourage everyone to get to know someone with Ds and their family. You will you learn a lot. And your heart might just explode. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments!