Thursday, November 4, 2010

What I am praying for...



Sorry guys for abandoning you all!



Our Buddy Walk is coming up real soon! This Saturday as a matter of a fact! And I have been real busy making “Ethan Heads”, as well as preparing for our After Walk Appreciation Celebration.


We are truly thankful to everyone that has contributed some way or another.



Thank you all for selling wristbands, taking pledges, donating to our garage sale! Thank you guys! We haven’t made our goal as of yet. But it was never about reaching our goal, it was always about raising awareness and for the rest of the world to see the commitment of a mother, father, brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents.. of how we all came together to make a difference in the lives of those living with Down syndrome. That people with Down syndrome are worth having their family behind them and supporting them all the way.



I pray that you guys continue to support us. Just because we make it seem easy (and it is for the most part), we also face lots of hardships along the way. Hardships that break our hearts, which come it the form of prejudice and ignorance. I am sure that we all have been subjected to some form of bullying in our lives, but will Ethan be able to defend himself? How will his sisters survive the days that their beloved brother becomes some one’s target for bullying?



The Buddy Walk raises awareness about Down syndrome and promotes inclusion and acceptance for those individuals. I PRAY that those walking with us that might not personally know us or Ethan (or anyone with Ds) are able to preach this to their kids, families and friends. That we all deserve respect. Lets teach our children that there are people out there different from them, but that doesn’t mean they deserve less or have no worth in this world. God does not make mistakes and He loves us all. And lets clean up our language! Lets remove the R word from our vocabulary (retard/retarded). It is deeming to those with actual disabilities. The R word has a definition and it is not “stupid”. I’ve been labeled overdramatic for my stand on this word. Say what you want, call me what you want. Like I’ve said before, you don’t have to understand me, but please respect me. If you had a child like mine, you would be dancing to the same beat I’ve been dancing to. What is that saying?..., “you never know until it happens to you…” It is true, oh so true.



I am READY to walk in a sea of people who love someone with Down syndrome. I am ready to see the specs of baby blue shirts in an ocean of jade color shirts. To look in the eyes of other parents whom I’ve never met, yet so strongly tied to.



Ethan, I love you, and I will walk for you and others just like you. To raise awareness so that our children with Down syndrome, are accepted as a wonderfully normal part of a very diverse community.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments!