Tuesday, October 26, 2010

TNI – (Targeted Nutrition Intervention)

TNI – (Targeted Nutrition Intervention) for a child with Down syndrome.
Ahh, yes, the oh so ever controversial subject.

I am not here to preach it, other than to let you parents out there that there are things out there that can possibly help your child.

If I myself take vitamins for whatever deficiencies or to prevent any deficiencies why would it be any different for my child. Not to mention that Ethan has SO many things going on with his little brain, so why would I not want to prevent any further damage.

And even If we do not see any significant physical or cognitive changes, we are keeping Ethan on his supplements. This could just be what will help Ethan later in life to delay (or even diminish) the early onset of possibly dementia or Alzheimer’s or any other illnesses or problems. Who knows. This is all “COULD BE” and “MAYBE” talk.

Ethan is currently on a combination of the T21 Foundation Protocol and Changing Minds Foundation Protocol. He has been since he was 5 months old.

Ethan’s supplements are as follows:
NutriveneD
Ginkgo Bilbao
Probiotic
Long Vida Curcumin
Body Bio Oil (just the OIL not the PC)

Have we seen a difference?
Yes we have, a slight yet significant difference. He is more focused, tries to make more noises and explores his surroundings MORE. Without the supplements, he pretty much is the same baby, but less willing and focused.

We are thinking of starting Ethan on Prozac soon. Not for behavioral/mood reasons. Babies with Down syndrome lose 50% of their neurons by 6 months. Prozac has been discovered to grow new neurons.

Here is a list of websites that you might find interesting .
I stayed up many many nights when Ethan was first born doing my research. I was hesitant to start him on anything. But I have to follow my motherly instincts and I have to trust in other moms before me that have been in my shoes. We are all in this together.  No we are NOT trying to cure Ds, rather improve some symptoms and yes many even CURE some of them such as Alzheimer’s.

Here are a few links you might be interested in and help you get started in doing some research.

and from a sister with a little brother who has Ds (Qadoshyah) – she is truly amazing - http://gotdownsyndrome.blogspot.com/
http://www.lleichtman.org/ (Dr. Lawrence G. Leichtman)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments!